Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day 2... November Lillies

Here we are at Day 2, and as promised, I have a painting to unveil today. This acrylic painting was commissioned for miss Chantelle as a house warming present for her new apartment.

This is what I've titled "November Lillie's". It is a painting of the Stargazer and Calla Lily flowers. I chose these two flowers quite simply for the reason that they are mine and Chantelles favorite flowers (Hers being Lillie's in general, and mine being the Calla Lily).



When I was working on this particular piece, I decided to check into the meanings and significance of each flower. The common description for the lily family as a whole, is purity and beauty. When I looked into these flowers specifically, the meaning of the Stargazer Lily (the pink and white flower in the painting)  is that of Prosperity and Aspiration. I found it rather fitting that this was the flower I chose to represent Chantelle, because she is such a strong person with so many things she aspires to do.

In first choosing the Calla Lily, I had no idea what its meaning was. I just thought it was a really beautiful flower, with a simplistic design. It turns out that the meaning of the Calla Lily is "Magnificent Beauty".

So, having found these meanings, I decided that this piece wouldn't be complete without the true significance for each flower depicted on it.


AS A CHALLENGE TO ALL THOSE READING, PICK YOUR FAVORITE FLOWER, LOOK UP ITS MEANING, AND POST IT.  ITS SIGNIFICANCE MAY SURPRISE YOU  :)


***I'm sure you're wondering if there are any pieces that aren't for Chantelle, and I promise that tomorrow is something completely different :P***

Tomorrows piece is a pencil drawing, for Remembrance Day. It is dedicated to all those men and women who have served for their country in the past, those who are serving in the present, and those who will come to serve in the future.

Enjoy your Wednesday!

And remember, "An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one." ~ Charles Horton Cooley

No comments:

Post a Comment